Re: How free does a non-free package have to be?

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 09:13:56PM +0100, Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:
> Johannes Rohr <j.rohr@gmx.de> writes:
>
> > [...] I am examining if it is possible to replace
> > the installer package with a package that contains the actual
> > software. So I'm not planning to make more non-free software available
> > to Debian users, but simply to replace an existing package by
> > something that is presumably easier to maintain and install.
>
> Since F-prot is already offering Debian packages of (as you stated)
> inferior quality, have you offered building a new package for them
> (for a small sum optionally)? They could put it in their download
> section, and we could remove the installer with no harm done.

Well, I don't know. Until today I've contacted them three times and
there as been no response except for an acknowledgement of receipt.

Therefore I don't think they'd turn out to be more responsive if I came
begging for money...

Anyway, I have almost finished a revised installer package which
(hopefully) makes installation and maintainance much more comfortable
than before. When I'm done with that, I might consider building a proper
Debian package that they can put on their web site.

It seems to me that they just don't care at all about Debian. I really
wonder _how_ they build their debs. I mean: A binary package which has a
"Build-depends" field - wouldn't dpkg-buildpackage give an error message
on this?

Thanks,

Johannes