Re: How free does a non-free package have to be?

Johannes Rohr <j.rohr@gmx.de> writes:

> Well, I don't know. Until today I've contacted them three times and
> there as been no response except for an acknowledgement of receipt.
>
> Therefore I don't think they'd turn out to be more responsive if I came
> begging for money...

It's actually called "bargaining" for money <g>. Anyway, you'd
probably have to drop a few coins and ring them up. That's a bit
harder for them to ignore and you'll probably be able to find out why
they have a dodgy .deb up there.

> It seems to me that they just don't care at all about Debian.

Then there would be no mention of Debian on their site, as with the
millions of other companies who don't care about Debian. That they
bothered to put up a package could mean one of two things:
(a) There's someone who likes Debian in there. Hu has built a Debian
    package for fun, and someotherone said: hey we could offer that
    for download, too.
(b) They have one or more customers who like Debian and pestered them
    to produce a package. Someone was ordered to make one.

The second feels more probable as even a casual dogfood-eater would
probably correct the packaging mistakes you cited elsewhere. So they
may be glad to outsource the hassle.

--
Robbe