lintian: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath

Hi,

I recently took over the linux-atm package from Russel Coker and found
out that lintian complains loudly about the binary package resulting
from the build:

W: atm-tools: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath ./usr/sbin/mpcd
/home/haber/devel/linux-atm-2.4.0/debian/atm-tools/usr/lib

From the docs I found, there is no legitimate reason for any package
to define rpath on a Debian system. Is this correct? Does this also
apply to other Linux systems?

Since linux-atm's configure script does not honor thle --disable-rpath
option and compiles with rpath setting anyway, I'd need to hack the
autoconf/automake scripts and the Makefile templates to remove rpath
to get a lintian clean package. I don't have the necessary knowledge
to do so without seriously breaking something. Could anybody more
knowledgeable help me with this?

Is it adiviseable to ask upstream to refrain from setting rpath, or am
I being unreasonable here?

Any hints will be appreciated. Thanks.

Greetings
Marc