Re: lintian: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath

On Thu, 09 May 2002, Marc Haber wrote:
> From the docs I found, there is no legitimate reason for any package
> to define rpath on a Debian system. Is this correct? Does this also

Yes, for libraries. Plugins may use/need rpath.

> apply to other Linux systems?

Not really, depends on who you ask.

> to do so without seriously breaking something. Could anybody more
> knowledgeable help me with this?

There is a rpath-reaper packaged for Debian (I don't recall the name), it
will "fix" the binaries the hard way.

> Is it adiviseable to ask upstream to refrain from setting rpath, or am
> I being unreasonable here?

Don't bother, someone will ask him to provide rpath as soon as he removes
it.  You could, however, ask him to FIX the --disable-rpath functionality...

  Henrique Holschuh