Re: lintian: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath

Marc Haber <debian-mentors.lists.debian.org@marc-haber.de> writes:

> W: atm-tools: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath ./usr/sbin/mpcd
> /home/haber/devel/linux-atm-2.4.0/debian/atm-tools/usr/lib

Note that this rpath, apart from being superflous, is also broken as
it points to a directory that will be nonexistent except on your
machine.

> From the docs I found, there is no legitimate reason for any package
> to define rpath on a Debian system. Is this correct? Does this also
> apply to other Linux systems?

To Linux systems, generally, yes. Some commercial Unices dig rpath,
though. Basically, if your package system sucks, rpath is your friend.

> Since linux-atm's configure script does not honor thle --disable-rpath
> option and compiles with rpath setting anyway, I'd need to hack the
> autoconf/automake scripts and the Makefile templates to remove rpath
> to get a lintian clean package. I don't have the necessary knowledge
> to do so without seriously breaking something. Could anybody more
> knowledgeable help me with this?

Since you're using libtool, perhaps reading
  http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/debian-devel-200202/msg00756.html
and surroundings may help.

> Is it adiviseable to ask upstream to refrain from setting rpath, or am
> I being unreasonable here?

As outlined above to be fully portable one has to keep rpath as an
option, but it should be possible to turn it off cleanly. In an ideal
world, libtool would shield us from this ...

--
Robbe