Re: NSS library dependencies

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 11:39:43PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:07:42AM +0200, Sami Haahtinen wrote:
> > The only proper solution (which i was looking into this weekend
> > actually) would be to statically link all required libraries into
> > libnss-ldap and keep that in /lib, i'm not that keen in the idea as it
> > might bring some new unexpected problems.
>
> As libnss-ldap can be configured to use SASL (and as a result, pluggable
> modules), I don't think static linking is a very feasible solution.  A
> better question would be, why does the system need nss_ldap loaded at
> time of shutdown?  Any processes still present at the time drives are
> being unmounted should not require NSS to do their job; and in fact, on
> none of the machines where I use nss_ldap have I had problems with
> drives not being unmounted cleanly.

I think the problem is that the applications that use nss, have the
nss_ldap library open, which in turn has libldap open. There doesn't
seem to be any way around the fact that almost all applications use nss
for some reason, and if your nss is configured to use ldap it will use
the nss_ldap module.

about the clean mounts, do you happend to have a separate /usr?

--
			  -< Sami Haahtinen >-
      -[ Notify immediately if you do not receive this message ]-