Re: NSS library dependencies

On Wed, Dec 25, 2002 at 12:18:35AM +0200, Sami Haahtinen wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 11:39:43PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:07:42AM +0200, Sami Haahtinen wrote:
> > > The only proper solution (which i was looking into this weekend
> > > actually) would be to statically link all required libraries into
> > > libnss-ldap and keep that in /lib, i'm not that keen in the idea as it
> > > might bring some new unexpected problems.

> > As libnss-ldap can be configured to use SASL (and as a result, pluggable
> > modules), I don't think static linking is a very feasible solution.  A
> > better question would be, why does the system need nss_ldap loaded at
> > time of shutdown?  Any processes still present at the time drives are
> > being unmounted should not require NSS to do their job; and in fact, on
> > none of the machines where I use nss_ldap have I had problems with
> > drives not being unmounted cleanly.

> I think the problem is that the applications that use nss, have the
> nss_ldap library open, which in turn has libldap open. There doesn't
> seem to be any way around the fact that almost all applications use nss
> for some reason, and if your nss is configured to use ldap it will use
> the nss_ldap module.

Oh, I understand how it would happen that a file in /usr is actively in
use in this scenario; I'm just questioning why it shouldn't be
considered a bug in whatever program is still running and referencing
NSS at the time 'umount /usr' is called.  There are quite a lot of NSS
and PAM modules which depend on files in /usr, and which might be
optionally referenced by applications in /bin or /sbin.  It would take
some time to move all libraries that anyone has written an NSS module
for -- even longer wrt PAM -- and it's not clear to me that this is an
appropriate solution.

> about the clean mounts, do you happend to have a separate /usr?

Yes.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer