Re: orig.tar.gz

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 10:56:02AM -0700, Joel Baker wrote:
> However, I run into a problem at this point; future releases of the
> package (-2 and above) might well need to pull in different files or
> parts of the source tree. This would result in a different orig.tar.gz
> file, which seems like it wouldn't work - however, it also seems silly
> (and probably confusing) to version it as Debian-native, since there
> is a clear versioning point in the upstream sources.

Given that I expect you might frequently find yourself doing either of
changing the tarball in this way and making Debian-specific changes, I'd
go for having the upstream version as 1.6-<date>, where <date> is the
date on which you constructed the tarball (or some other similar
strictly increasing scheme). Then you keep the upstream version and
still get to make Debian-specific changes with reasonable efficiency.