Re: orig.tar.gz

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 10:56:02AM -0700, Joel Baker wrote:
> I'm currently working to package pieces of the NetBSD source tree (little
> things like libc12, for instance). Because the full source tree is vast,
> unwieldly, and by and large much of it is not actually useful or needed for
> the Debian GNU/NetBSD port (for example, the entire gnu/ tree is replaced
> by Debian packaged software), these packages are generally built based on a
> partial copy of the relevant parts of the NetBSD CVS tree (currently from
> the tagged release point release-1-6).

> It's easy enough to create an orig.tar.gz:

>     tar -czvf libc12_1.6.orig.tar.gz libc12-1.6/*.bz2

> produces one. However, I run into a problem at this point; future releases
> of the package (-2 and above) might well need to pull in different files
> or parts of the source tree. This would result in a different orig.tar.gz
> file, which seems like it wouldn't work - however, it also seems silly (and
> probably confusing) to version it as Debian-native, since there is a clear
> versioning point in the upstream sources.

You can either modify the upstream version number every time you have to
make changes to the tarball (e.g., libc12_1.6, libc12_1.6+debian.0,
libc12_1.6+debian.1), or you can include any subsequent modifications in
your Debian diff.  Your choice.  If you expect to be making frequent
changes to how much of upstream's code you're including, option 1 might
easily reduce to a native package.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer