Re: orig.tar.gz

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 01:51:01PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 10:56:02AM -0700, Joel Baker wrote:
> > I'm currently working to package pieces of the NetBSD source tree (little
> > things like libc12, for instance). Because the full source tree is vast,
> > unwieldly, and by and large much of it is not actually useful or needed for
> > the Debian GNU/NetBSD port (for example, the entire gnu/ tree is replaced
> > by Debian packaged software), these packages are generally built based on a
> > partial copy of the relevant parts of the NetBSD CVS tree (currently from
> > the tagged release point release-1-6).
>
> > It's easy enough to create an orig.tar.gz:
>
> >     tar -czvf libc12_1.6.orig.tar.gz libc12-1.6/*.bz2
>
> > produces one. However, I run into a problem at this point; future releases
> > of the package (-2 and above) might well need to pull in different files
> > or parts of the source tree. This would result in a different orig.tar.gz
> > file, which seems like it wouldn't work - however, it also seems silly (and
> > probably confusing) to version it as Debian-native, since there is a clear
> > versioning point in the upstream sources.
>
> You can either modify the upstream version number every time you have to
> make changes to the tarball (e.g., libc12_1.6, libc12_1.6+debian.0,
> libc12_1.6+debian.1), or you can include any subsequent modifications in
> your Debian diff.  Your choice.  If you expect to be making frequent
> changes to how much of upstream's code you're including, option 1 might
> easily reduce to a native package.

Indeed. This seems to be the cleanest way, really - specifically, to
devolve it into a Debian-native package, with the version mapped from
upstream's versioning plus what would otherwise be a -rev value.

I'd say it was unfortunate to lose the diff.gz summarizing Debian changes,
but you don't, really - just unpack the entire thing and rm the source
tarball, if you really care.

I do think I'll put information on the include/exclude lists used to build
the tarball from a pristine CVS tree into debian/README, though - if for no
other reason than to not forget, myself, when I accidentally delete some
files (oh, come on, you KNOW it'll happen...)
lucifer@lightbearer.com              http://users.lightbearer.com/lucifer/