Re: orig.tar.gz

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 07:41:23PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> > It's easy enough to create an orig.tar.gz:
> >
> >     tar -czvf libc12_1.6.orig.tar.gz libc12-1.6/*.bz2
> >
> > produces one.
>
> Actually, this should be
>
>   tar -czvf libc12_1.6.orig.tar.gz libc12-1.6.orig/

There is no spoon. Er. There is no libc12-1.6.orig/

I'm packaging the bz2 tarball because I'm using DBS with multiple separate
tarballs being unpacked to form the build-tree.

> > However, I run into a problem at this point; future releases of the
> > package (-2 and above) might well need to pull in different files or
> > parts of the source tree. This would result in a different
> > orig.tar.gz file, which seems like it wouldn't work
>
> The additional files will be represented in the .diff.gz files... Is
> that not enough?

Given that they're not "Debian differences" from the source, but rather,
files from the origional source tree that I screwed up and forgot to add or
remove properly, no, that isn't enough.

Further commentary on IRC indicates that this whole thing is tilting at
windmills, and I should just throw in the towel and forget orig.tar.gz
and go with a Debian native version (1.6+debian+1 or the like), because
it is Not Kosher to mess with the orig.tar.gz in any way, once it's been
uploaded, unless you're doing a new version (not just new revision) of the
package.
lucifer@lightbearer.com              http://users.lightbearer.com/lucifer/