Re: dpkg-buildpackage problem

Jay Graves <jay@skabber.com> [2002-10-10 16:39:18 -0600]:
> > debian/rules should have something like this:
> > make install DESTDIR=$(CURDIR)/debian/tmp
>
> well my debian rules looks like this
> ./configure (lots of stuff here) --datadir=/etc/X11

This implies that the application is using data itself in order to
find configuration files.  This will push down into the generated
'Makefile's.  If you look at the top of one of those you will see the
section where prefix and other variables are set.  Looking there will
probably explain what is happening better than I can here.

> ./configure (lots of stuff here) --datadir=/etc/X11

That probably says things like this for "(lots of stuff here)"

  --infodir=\$${prefix}/share/info

By using prefix in this way when prefix is overridden at install time
everything is handled.  But by using a hard /etc path without an
override then you are also must handle that in the install target
later.  In a nutshell, you did one but not the other.

> and the install block has this line
> $(MAKE) install prefix=$(CURDIR)/deban/packageName/usr

I hope it spelled 'debian' right in the real thing.

> everything installs into debian/packageName fine if I don't specify
> the --datadir in the configure, but once I do it tries to install files
> to /etc/X11

Because you set datadir in your configure then you need to override it
in your make install target.  Probably something like this.

  $(MAKE) install prefix=$(CURDIR)/debian/packageName/usr datadir=$(CURDIR)/debian/packageName/etc/X11

Where packageName, your convention, is the name of your package.  Or
'tmp' in some cases.

HTH
Bob