Re: dpkg-buildpackage problem

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 07:23:13AM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
(lots of complicated things)

I think, if the Makefile is not too weird, it would be a lot easier
to make it install to $(DESTDIR), and configure the directories
in the 'normal' way.

>   $(MAKE) install prefix=$(CURDIR)/debian/packageName/usr datadir=$(CURDIR)/debian/packageName/etc/X11

$(MAKE) DESTDIR=$(CURDIR)/debian/packageName/ install

autoconf/automake support this. There is a reason that they do. All
these prefix/datadir/whatever may be used in the code or scripts.
DESTDIR just tells make install to put install stuff into DESTDIR as
root, and this is want you want. If there are some hacks in the install
target which do not use DESTDIR, it is broken, should be fixed and sent
to upstream. That's what I do with my upstreams.

Greetings,
Oliver
--
debian/rules                                       http://zork.net/~nick/srom/