Re: Multiple Binary and man pages

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 07:42:15PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> Sven LUTHER <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> writes:
>
> > On Sun, Sep 08, 2002 at 08:21:09PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> > >
> > > Provided your packages conflict, you can make two files,
> > > debian/server.conf.5 and debian/server-enhanced.conf.5. Make the latter
> > > have the same .TH line at the top as does the former, something like
> > > this:
> > >
> > > .TH SERVER.CONF 5
> > >
> > > And make dh_installman install one into one package, one into the other.
> > > It will take care of naming them based on the .TH line, so the file
> > > names used in your source package really don't matter.
> >
> > Saddly, the current way dh_installmanpages handle this is broken (well i
> > was told it would be fixed post woody release) and it does not really
> > work (the symlink is to the original name, not the gzipped one).
> > I create the symlink by hand in a postinst.
>
> Why not make the symlink it in debian/rules in the binary-(all|arch)
> rule and package it?  If the packages will conflict, there won't be
> any problems, and it makes the postinst/prerm cleaner.

Mmm, the problem is that dh_installmanpage will compress the manpages,
and thus the name will change from .1 to .1.gz ones. But then, it will
do this only when the manpage is big enough (well this mostly means most
of the time i think). Also the packages don't conflict, the second one
is in addition to the first, providing alternative binaries to existing
binaries of the first package.

(Beside, the postinst symlinking was suggested to me by the debhelper
maintainer, who said he would fix this problem post woody release, at
which time i will remove the postinsts.)

Friendly,

Sven Luther