Re: pbuilder - root privileges? (was: Re: Orig tarball naming)

On Sat, Aug 24, 2002 at 05:47:23PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:

> pbuilder requires root to install the packages inside chroot to
> satisfy dependencies, and to actually move into the chroot.
>
> To be able to satisfy build-dependencies without root privilage,
> one will need to run dpkg with a different target than /,
> which in turn requires postinst scripts to run with a different
> target than /. I've started writing "fakechroot" to try and run dpkg with
> a different root directory by overriding libc functions, but it isn't yet
> working fully, and it's probably going to take a pretty long time,
> because there is a lot of functions to override.
>

> pbuilder tries to switch to a normal user privilage inside the chroot,
> and run fakeroot inside it, if you specify that in the pbuilder config file.

I have been working on a system which can use UML for the entire process of
bootstrapping a system, installing and building packages, all without root
access.  Unfortunately, this will currently only work on i386 platforms, but
has the potential to be very useful for Debian work.

--
 - mdz