Re: pbuilder - root privileges? (was: Re: Orig tarball naming)

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 00:28, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 04:03:51PM -0400, David Z Maze wrote:
> > I think you need root privileges to actually enter the chroot jail.
> > Other than that, it does seem like it should be possible to build the
> > chroot image entirely in a fakeroot world, but I remember having tried
> > this and failing.
>
> You'd have to acquire real root privileges from inside the fakeroot,
> since the faked filesystem permissions go away as soon as that fakeroot
> process dies ...

I've always thought it would be a fun hack to take some file system code from
the kernel (Ext3 or ReiserFS), compile it as user-space code with some sort
of client-server interface (unix domain sockets perhaps), and then have a
LD_PRELOAD hack like fakeroot communicate with it.

The file system would run entirely in user-space writing to either a regular
file or a block device, and the person who ran it would have ultimate
control.  If the faked says that something gets UID=0 then it does!

This shouldn't be that difficult, half of the code could probably be ripped
from UML.