Re: what to do with binary conffiles ?

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 06:14:55PM +0200, Eric Van Buggenhaut wrote:

> I don't agree with you here. When you have games that use high scores
> files, these are placed in /var as per FHS 5.4
> (http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/fhs/fhs-5.4.html) and
> obvioulsy tagged as conffiles (you don't want to lose your
> high scores files when upgrading the game).

This is an error.  *Nothing* outside of /etc should be a conffile.  See
policy 11.7.2.  In most cases I'm aware of the game knows how to create
the scorefile at runtime but YMMV.

> One drawback I see is that crafty-books-medium install a 30MB opening
> book file, if we go copying it from /usr/lib to /var/lib, we're
> wasting 30MB user's disk space, he might not like it.

OTOH, the prompts that may be generated by modified conffiles are going
to be just as confusing for something like this that the user will not
be aware they've modified (and can't review the diffs for effectively).