Re: what to do with binary conffiles ?

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 03:33 +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 04:15:11PM +0200, Eric Van Buggenhaut wrote:
>
> > When you install crafty for the first time, it installed compiled
> > opening books in /var/lib/crafty. Then, as it plays against you, it
> > 'learns' from the games and add the new moves to the opening books
> > that live in /var/lib/crafty.
>
> > Because You don't want your 'updated' opening books to be replaced by
> > crafty's default ones when you install a new version of the package,
> > these opening books are marked as conffiles.
>
> The bugs aren't just about the binary bit, they're also about the fact
> that you shouldn't have conffiles in /var.

I don't agree with you here. When you have games that use high scores
files, these are placed in /var as per FHS 5.4
(http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/fhs/fhs-5.4.html) and
obvioulsy tagged as conffiles (you don't want to lose your
high scores files when upgrading the game).

> > So, is it a problem to have conffiles being binary ? Do you have any
> > idea about how I could fix this (if it actually has to be fixed)?
>
> You definately need to remove the conffiles from /var.
>
> Why not just ship the files in /usr/lib or something and then in the
> postinst copy them to the place the package access them from if they
> aren't already there?

I like this idea. Thanks for the tip.

One drawback I see is that crafty-books-medium install a 30MB opening
book file, if we go copying it from /usr/lib to /var/lib, we're
wasting 30MB user's disk space, he might not like it.

--
Eric VAN BUGGENHAUT
Eric.VanBuggenhaut@AdValvas.be