Re: what to do with binary conffiles ?

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 04:15:11PM +0200, Eric Van Buggenhaut wrote:

> When you install crafty for the first time, it installed compiled
> opening books in /var/lib/crafty. Then, as it plays against you, it
> 'learns' from the games and add the new moves to the opening books
> that live in /var/lib/crafty.

> Because You don't want your 'updated' opening books to be replaced by
> crafty's default ones when you install a new version of the package,
> these opening books are marked as conffiles.

The bugs aren't just about the binary bit, they're also about the fact
that you shouldn't have conffiles in /var.

> So, is it a problem to have conffiles being binary ? Do you have any
> idea about how I could fix this (if it actually has to be fixed)?

You definately need to remove the conffiles from /var.

Why not just ship the files in /usr/lib or something and then in the
postinst copy them to the place the package access them from if they
aren't already there?