Re: developer vs user wants

On Sat, Jul 27, 2002 at 03:18:09AM -0700, Michael Cardenas wrote:
> I'm working on the limewire deb package, and the developer has asked
> me to do something that I'm sure users are not going to want.
>
> Limewire displays small banner ads in the bottom of the application
> window, and there's a boolean which turns this on. When you get the
> code from cvs, it's off, but when they make a release, they turn it
> on.
>
> The developer at limewire that I spoke to asked me to turn them on, so
> I guess that I should, although that's not what users are going to
> want.
>
> Any thoughts on this?

If you upload it with this turned on, I guarantee that somebody will
almost immediately provide a version with it turned off, either from
the archive or from people.d.o; thusly it achieves nothing for you to
turn it on.

If the developers of limewire want to force people to view the ads,
they must write this into the license (and we punt it to non-free),
otherwise it is completely futile to try and make people do so.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-             -><-          | London, UK