Re: Lintian errors and warnings

Josip Rodin <joy@cibalia.gkvk.hr> writes:

> > If lintian objects to them, shouldn't policy mention stripping them?
>
> Doesn't it already?

     The only guidance I can find in policy 3.5.2.0 on the subject of
stripping binaries is in section 11.1. Binaries:

     Note that by default all installed binaries should be stripped, either
     by using the `-s' flag to `install', or by calling `strip' on the
     binaries after they have been copied into `debian/tmp' but before the
     tree is made into a package.

     I have always followed this provision, using the `-s' flag to
`install' in my rules files.  The binaries lintian objected to were
stripped.

     Section 11.2. Libraries says:

     Note that all installed shared libraries should be stripped with

                    strip --strip-unneeded <your-lib>

     Another poster recommended using `strip --strip-unneeded' for
these binaries, but that does not remove anything more than `strip'
without options.  The dictzip binary, unstripped, is 394689 bytes.
After running `strip dictzip', it is 125116 bytes.  After running
`strip --strip-unneeded dictzip' it is still 125116 bytes.  Running
`strip --remove-section=.comment --remove-section=.note dictzip'
reduces it to 122396 bytes.

Bob
--
   _