Re: metamail & changes to make it work under unstable

On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 09:59:21PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Michael Moerz wrote:
>
> > Hi!
>
> Hi Michael!
>
> > I have adopted metamail to make it work with unstable, but I used
> > autoconf&autoconf to rewrite the build-process. The problem was
> > that things were defined in a metamail header file that were
> > later redefined by an included system header file.
> >
> > My problem is that there is no upstream anymore and I have cutted
> > some c source away that was responsible for making metamail work
> > under AMIGA & DOS.
> > I have tried to find some policy that matches this situation, but
> > I failed and therefore I am asking this here.
> >
> > Well I believe that it is better to at least support Unix
> > than to support no OS at all so I simply decided to do it.
>
> Your decision sounds reasnable. The only thing you must do is to keep the
> upstream source unchanged in you orig.tar.gz .

of course.
> If there's no upstream anymore and you are working actively on the package
> you can perhaps ask the old upstream if you can become the new upstream?

hmm, that would become tricky since metamail was developed by someone
working at Bellcore, but this guy doesn't seem to be there anymore cause
i wasn't able to get an email contact. But I will give that an other try.

--
kind regards,
Michael Moerz