Re: metamail & changes to make it work under unstable

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Michael Moerz wrote:

> Hi!

Hi Michael!

> I have adopted metamail to make it work with unstable, but I used
> autoconf&autoconf to rewrite the build-process. The problem was
> that things were defined in a metamail header file that were
> later redefined by an included system header file.
>
> My problem is that there is no upstream anymore and I have cutted
> some c source away that was responsible for making metamail work
> under AMIGA & DOS.
> I have tried to find some policy that matches this situation, but
> I failed and therefore I am asking this here.
>
> Well I believe that it is better to at least support Unix
> than to support no OS at all so I simply decided to do it.

Your decision sounds reasnable. The only thing you must do is to keep the
upstream source unchanged in you orig.tar.gz .

If there's no upstream anymore and you are working actively on the package
you can perhaps ask the old upstream if you can become the new upstream?

cu,
Adrian

                -- Mahatma Ghandi