Re: packaging HTML, CGIs, etc.

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 10:43:23AM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> * Jimmy Kaplowitz
>
> | On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 12:47:39PM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> | > * Britton
> | >
> | > (don't cc me on lists.)
> |
> | Why don't you set Mail-Followup-To: accordingly?
>
> Because, in Gnus it's a lot easier to set 'Mail-Copies-To: never'
> globally than a per-group mail-followup-to.  And Debian policy says
> that you shouldn't Cc unless explicitly stated.

I don't remember ever seeing such a statement. Could you provide a quotation
or reference?

> | I know the default mutt setup respects that when I invoke the 'reply
> | all' feature (i.e., it won't reply to you if you have that set
> | right), whereas it ignores Mail-Copies-To: never. In mutt, it's a
> | simple matter of adding 'subscribe debian-' to your ~/.muttrc - this
> | takes care of adding the header for all mails sent to Debian mailing
> | lists.

Well if it's Debian policy to respect the headers such as Mail-Copies-To:, why
do we distribute a default /etc/Muttrc that ignores that one? (I am not a mutt
wizard, so I don't know if this header can be automatically taken into
consideration, but there is probably some way, even if only an ugly hack, to
do it.)

> As you would have seen, if you had read my headers, is that I use
> gnus. And have no intention of switching.  About 1.5GB/173K mails
> would be a small obstacle if I wanted to switch.

I wasn't trying to encourage you to switch. I was merely providing instructions
for the MUA that I am most familiar with. I have heard good things about Gnus
also. There is probably a standard and not-too-difficult way to selectively add
the Mail-Followup-To: header to such a configurable system as any incarnation
of Emacs. I wish I could provide a way, but I can't.

Even if there is no way to do the above, why does mutt ignore that header with
the default Debian configuration?

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debian.org