Re: GPG Key Signing

>>"Robbe" == Robert Bihlmeyer <robbe@orcus.priv.at> writes:

 Robbe> What additional security does this protocol offer over simple ID
 Robbe> checking? IOW, what problem does it solve?

	Are you implying that ensuring the person whose identity you
 verified actually controls the email address and the secret pass
 phrase adds no value to the web of trust?

 >> It has an enormous flaw: you do not sign a key, you sign an id.

 Robbe> Indeed. And I usually consider the e-mail not part of the signed data
 Robbe> (although, technically it is). It would be good to have make that
 Robbe> explicit by having one uid on the key without e-mail. I'd sign just
 Robbe> that, and - frankly - I'm not that interested in whether the e-mail is
 Robbe> signed by anybody besides the owner of the key.

	So a compromiser can just merrily add email addresses that
 never point to the owner, and the owner shall never know. I would
 much rather send email to an ID that is in my web of trust -- not
 just an id attached to a key that happens to be in my web of trust.

	manoj
--
 If it happens once, it's a bug. If it happens twice, it's a
 feature. If it happens more than twice, it's a design philosophy.