Re: Autoconf test for Debian?

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 12:18:30AM +0800, James Bromberger wrote:

> I've been thinking about an autoconf test I have for checking that my package
> is being created on a Debian system. The reason is that I have a very small
> set of diffs that I want applied to the package only for Debian, and hope
> at some stage to feed these diffs upstream (things like file paths, etc).

I'm really confused about what the purpose of this is.

If you're packaging existing source for Debian, then just make the
changes, and they'll show up in the package's .diff file.

If you are the author of the code in question, or want to propose
changes to the upstream author, make things customizable in a generic
manner, then set them appropriately in debian/rules.

For example, if the issue is the location of a config file, then
change the code to use, e.g. ${sysconfdir}/bla.conf, then call
"./configure --sysconfdir=/etc" in debian/rules.

> ...and all other changes in scripts are based on "#ifdef DEBIAN".

Euh ... basing _any_ source variations on DEBIAN strikes me as a
really bad idea, in general.  Use the power of autoconf to do things
in a generic manner, then specialize them for debian in debian/rules.

Regards,
-Steve

--
by Rocket to the Moon,