Re: Long strings in debconf templates (in the short description)

Henrique M Holschuh wrote:
> I wonder how strict is the "about 50 characters or so" limitation on the
> short description for a debconf template is?

Well, you're not going to get a "serious" severity bug about it any time
soon.

However, debconf frontends are designed with strings of about this
length in mind. They'll certianly not cause any horrible breakage, but
you might even see a truncated string here and there. For example, the
slang frontend truncates short descriptions if they overflow one line.

> Should I just refuse the template and ask the translator to somehow shorten
> the offending text, or use the template anyway?

Dunno. How about asking the translator how they feel about being cut off
in mid sentance. :-)

--
see shy jo