Long strings in debconf templates (in the short description)

Hello fellow developers,

I wonder how strict is the "about 50 characters or so" limitation on the
short description for a debconf template is?

I ask this because some translators seem to be fond of tacking long things
in there.  This has happened to some fetchmail templates, for example.

Should I just refuse the template and ask the translator to somehow shorten
the offending text, or use the template anyway?

  Henrique Holschuh