Dependance on an unavailable library

I'm building a package that depends on gdbm 1.8.0, which is newer than the
version Debian uses. I notified the gdbm maintainer, but have not received
a response. The source package, presumably because it's an uncommonly used
version of gdbm, contains the source to 1.8.0 which can be used during the
build process. What do you think I should do in this situation?

----This random signature is licensed under the License to Kill.----

"If I had a million dollars... I'd be rich."

			Barenaked Ladies, "If I Had a Million Dollars"

Jonathan Eisenstein
jeisen@mindspring.com
PGP Public Key: http://www.mindspring.com/~jeisen/pgp.asc