liblockdev1 shared library symlink missing?

Package: liblockdev1-dev
Version: 1.0.0
Severity: normal

(Debian-mentors: this turns out to be a bug in liblockdev1-dev,
it seems.)

It doesn't create the symlink that other shared-library
-dev packages create; if I do the following, my problem
(described in the quoted message below) goes away:

  /usr/lib# ln -s /lib/liblockdev.so.1 liblockdev.so

Please let me know if I've misconstrued the problem.  THanks.

-- System Information
Debian Release: testing/unstable
Architecture: i386
Kernel: Linux zona 2.4.1 #1 SMP Mon Feb 12 21:30:11 EST 2001 i686

Versions of packages liblockdev1-dev depends on:
ii  libc6-dev                     2.2.2-1    GNU C Library: Development Librari
ii  liblockdev1                   1.0.0      Run-time shared library (libc6) fo