Re: Dependance on an unavailable library

> I'm building a package that depends on gdbm 1.8.0, which is newer than the
> version Debian uses. I notified the gdbm maintainer, but have not received
> a response.

How long did you wait?  James is a very busy guy with a lot of
responsibilities.  He'll get to you eventually.

You should file a bug report on the package if it's out of date.
It doesn't look like you've done that yet.

> The source package, presumably because it's an uncommonly used
> version of gdbm, contains the source to 1.8.0 which can be used during the
> build process. What do you think I should do in this situation?

Build your own packages for your own use if you can and just wait for
James to take care of it.

Eric