Re: Package checking

On Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 12:25:01PM +0100, calvin@users.sourceforge.net wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 11:16:16PM -0600, Sam TH wrote:
> > samth# lintian --version
> > Lintian v1.20.6
> > samth# lintian -i uf-view_1.2-2_i386.changes
> > W: uf-view source: newer-standards-version 3.5.2.0
> >
> > I presume this is a lintian bug.  Right?
> No, this is because your standards version is 3.5.0, and the current
> version is 3.5.2

Actually, my standards version is 3.5.2.0.  And the lintian
explanation for this is:

N:   The source package refers to a `Standards-Version' which is newer than
N:   the one lintian is programmed to check. If the source package is
N:   correct, then please upgrade lintian to the newest version. (If there
N:   is no newer lintian version, then please bug lintian-maint@debian.org
N:   to make one.)

So I think it is a lintian bug.

> Another thing: you should use a newer debian/rules file. There is a new
> target 'configure' which you can use to call ./configure.
> When doing this, look out if you have to depend on debhelper >= 3.0.

What's the advantage to using this?  I couldn't find any references in
the debhelper docs or in policy to it.  Would this be different that
having a private configure target for the internal use of the build
system?

> Yet another thing: your Build-depends seems wrong.
> Policy says: 'A source package may declare a dependency or a conflict
> on a binary package', but your are depending on a source package
> (libghttp), not the binary package (libghttp1). Ah, no, it should be
> libghttp-dev, the header package.

Doh.  Fixed.

> Hmm, the configure file should also check for ghttp.h, it didnt complain
> when I run it without having ghttp.h, but compiling fails:
> [...]
> gladesig.c:6: ghttp.h: No such file or directory

Fixed.

New package at the same location,

deb[-src] http://samth.dyndns.org/debian ./

Thanks for your help