Re: CVS access to upstream

Regarding: Debian native package v.s. Upstream *.orig.tar.gz + *.diff

Joshua Haberman wrote:
> Really? I was told by someone else that it makes things much more
> complicated, since you have to release a new upstream version for
> any debian-specific changes to be made. I'll refrain from quoting
> directly, since it was in private e-mail, but he highly recommended
> against it, also citing the fact that it will make life more
> complicated for anyone who has to adopt the package or NMU.

Actually, that is an interesting side-affect of maintaining the
software itself separate from its packaging.  Incremental changes in
the packaging source are found in the *.diff file distributed with the
source package.  For Debian native code, any version change means a
new full-source tarball without a diff.  The archives for Debian
native packages would be much larger, in retrospect, than upstream
software packages.

Six in one hand, half a dozen in the other.  If our autobuilders were
to build from a central CVS repository using cvs-buildpackage and
perhaps CVSup, it go far to making this difference a moot point.
Given our current system, it may be a wiser decision to maintain the
packaging separate from the software itself.

Thanks for this discussion topic.  I found it quite interesting and
thought provoking. ;-)

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Key fingerprint = B4AB D627 9CBD 687E 7A31  1950 0CC7 0B18 206C 5AFD