Re: CVS access to upstream

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 09:25:26PM +0100, peter karlsson wrote:
> I have CVS access to a upstream program I am the Debian maintainer for
> (jwhois), and since I have learnt the lesson of moving the debian
> directory in the CVS, I'm planning to add them as a separate module.
>
> My question, however, is how to handle differences between the Debian
> version and the upstream sources. Is there any standard way I can put
> patches that are applied when Debian archives are built, and reversed
> when it is ready?

The easiest way is to maintain a vendor branch in a local repository.
Your Debian specific changes will happen on the main 'trunk', but
upstream changes will only happen when you do an upstream release
'import'.  Doing diffs is as simple as:

    cvs diff -r upstream_version_X_X_X > ../my.diff

You can use the cvs-inject script provided by cvs-buildpackage to
automate much of this.  (Do an 'apt-cache show cvs-buildpackage'.)

Since you have access to the upstream CVS, you might be able to
convince the upstream Author to include the Debian specific changes
into the upstream source.  In that case, you would not need to
maintain a separate upstream version and debian version; they would be
one in the same.  The package would be considered 'Debian native', and
version management would simplify greatly.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Key fingerprint = B4AB D627 9CBD 687E 7A31  1950 0CC7 0B18 206C 5AFD