Re: dpkg-statoverride and creating users in postinst

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 10:38:37PM +0200, Michael-John Turner wrote:
> Does anyone know of any packages that have been updated to use
> dpkg-statoverride
Look at the current ppp package (or do grep statoverride /var/lib/dpkg/info/*)

What I have read is that .deb makers dont use statoverride, they use
chmod 1755 <binary>
... and thats it, perhaps you must be cautious to call this after
dh_fixprems, not before.
The *administrator* changes his local uid bits by calling
dpkg-statoverride.

Now you are in the right mood to consider calling dpkg-statoverride
*in spite* of what I have said before. Yes, just do a
dpkg-statoverride --list ..., and if there is nothing already there, do a
dpkg-statoverride --add ... after your chmod,chown calls.
Why? Simply because the administrator is a lazy beast and he wants to
know which files are setuid installed, and with the above calls he can
look at the /var/lib/dpkg/statoverride file, see whats in there and
change it how he feels.

Note: ppp does not use dpkg-statoverride --list, but this leads to
errors when configuring (and calling postinst) twice.

And in postrm, call dpkg-statoverride --remove, but please use
there also --list, because the administrator could have removed
the statoverride manually.

After all, there should be a debhelper thingy for this mess (hint, hint ;)

Bastian

--
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!