Re: lintian: binary-has-unneeded-section

On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 11:44:12PM +1100, Drew Parsons wrote:
> It just the same thing about binary-has-unneeded-section.  Strangely, I
> don't remember it giving this particular error a few weeks ago when I
> started working on the package.

It's an info-level message, so you (should) only get it with lintian -I.

Both dh_strip and install -s will strip those two sections, because
we decided (long ago) that they're a waste of space.  Stripping
them is not required, though, it's just a good thing to do if it's
not too much trouble.  That's why it's an info message instead of
a warning.

I tend to use install -s.  With some packages I use
  strip --remove-section=.note --remove-section=.comment
and with some packages, where I use the upstream makefile to install,
I just leave them in.  It's about 1% of the binary size, IIRC.

Richard Braakman