Re: When is DAM approval supposed to happen?

On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 09:52:51AM +0100, Fredrik Steen wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 07:01:19PM -0500, sharkey@superk.physics.sunysb.edu wrote:
> | > You must have heard many times by now that Debian is a volunteer effort, and
> | > things are done on a time-available basis.
> |
> | Of course we all know this. But the question is really one of bottlenecking,
> | not of not enough available time of Debian as a whole.
> |
> | The whole reason that Debian exists (IMO) is that designing and tayloring
> | an operating system from scratch is too time consuming (by far) for any
> | one person.  Debian seeks to collect the work of many and distribute the
> | benefits to many more.  The application process should be no different.
> | If the the position of the DAM is too time consuming of a job, there should
> | be a panel of people who share this responsibility.
> |
> | What bothers me most about the delays in the NM queue are their
> | capriciousness.  I got through the process relatively quickly (about three
> | months or so, a fair time), but others have no such luck.  And it is luck,
> | not [always] lack trying on their part.
> |
> | The initial part of the process is fair.  People queue up in cronological
> | order and have their applications selected by one of a pool of possible
> | application managers.  AM's should adjust the number of open cases they're
> | handling to fit their available free time.  If an AM becomes unable to
> | process an applicant within a reasonable reasonable response time (say
> | two weeks of overhead beyond delays the fault of the applicant) then the
> | applicant should be returned to the AM queue.  It's not right that one AM
> | should hold up one applicant while others who applied months later are
> | getting through.  As far as I know, there's no mechanism for an applicant
> | to be returned to the queue.
> |
> | > You don't need to be a maintainer in order to help Debian.
> |
> | Of course not.  Even though I've only recently become a DD, I've been an
> | active unofficial member in the Debian community since late 1995.
> | But when such a person as myself decides to step forward and take on
> | additional responsibilities associated with being a DD, it doesn't make
> | sense to deny him or her that title for reasons of poor time management.
> |
> | Don't underestimate the importance of being an official developer.
> | It's true that you can get packages sponsered and "help Debian" without
> | it, but it can have a large effect on morale.  Being an official DD, gives
> | me a stronger tie to the project.  It affects the way *I feel* about the
> | work that I do.  To me, that's more important than an account or an
> | email address.
> |
> | Eric
> |

> Hi,
>
> My case:
>
> Received application: 2000-05-15
> Application Manager Assigned: akumria assigned on 2000-08-21
> ID Check: Passed at 2000-10-12
> Philosophy and Procedures Check: Passed at 2000-10-13
> Tasks and Skills Check: Passed at 2000-10-12
> Application Manager recomends to DAM: YES (But not anymore read below)

> [...]

In Australia, at home. Recovering. Having just finished organising a conference
over here (see <URL: http://linux.conf.au/>) I've had a number of things take
a much higher priority recently.

Unfortunately much of the conference related things I have to do won't finish
until Tuesday/Wednesday (most of the speakers will have returned then) and I
can get back on track with your application and other Debian related things.

Anand

--
   I close my eyes, only for a moment and the moment's gone
   All my dreams, pass before my eyes a curiosity