Re: When is DAM approval supposed to happen?

On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 07:01:19PM -0500, sharkey@superk.physics.sunysb.edu wrote:
| > You must have heard many times by now that Debian is a volunteer effort, and
| > things are done on a time-available basis.
|
| Of course we all know this. But the question is really one of bottlenecking,
| not of not enough available time of Debian as a whole.
|
| The whole reason that Debian exists (IMO) is that designing and tayloring
| an operating system from scratch is too time consuming (by far) for any
| one person.  Debian seeks to collect the work of many and distribute the
| benefits to many more.  The application process should be no different.
| If the the position of the DAM is too time consuming of a job, there should
| be a panel of people who share this responsibility.
|
| What bothers me most about the delays in the NM queue are their
| capriciousness.  I got through the process relatively quickly (about three
| months or so, a fair time), but others have no such luck.  And it is luck,
| not [always] lack trying on their part.
|
| The initial part of the process is fair.  People queue up in cronological
| order and have their applications selected by one of a pool of possible
| application managers.  AM's should adjust the number of open cases they're
| handling to fit their available free time.  If an AM becomes unable to
| process an applicant within a reasonable reasonable response time (say
| two weeks of overhead beyond delays the fault of the applicant) then the
| applicant should be returned to the AM queue.  It's not right that one AM
| should hold up one applicant while others who applied months later are
| getting through.  As far as I know, there's no mechanism for an applicant
| to be returned to the queue.
|
| > You don't need to be a maintainer in order to help Debian.
|
| Of course not.  Even though I've only recently become a DD, I've been an
| active unofficial member in the Debian community since late 1995.
| But when such a person as myself decides to step forward and take on
| additional responsibilities associated with being a DD, it doesn't make
| sense to deny him or her that title for reasons of poor time management.
|
| Don't underestimate the importance of being an official developer.
| It's true that you can get packages sponsered and "help Debian" without
| it, but it can have a large effect on morale.  Being an official DD, gives
| me a stronger tie to the project.  It affects the way *I feel* about the
| work that I do.  To me, that's more important than an account or an
| email address.
|
| Eric

Hi,

My case:

Received application: 2000-05-15
Application Manager Assigned: akumria assigned on 2000-08-21
ID Check: Passed at 2000-10-12
Philosophy and Procedures Check: Passed at 2000-10-13
Tasks and Skills Check: Passed at 2000-10-12
Application Manager recomends to DAM: YES (But not anymore read below)

Application Manager Comments
- must send DAM docs

Debian Account Manager Comments
err.. would be nice, yes. AM: please reapprove when you have report ready.

Stopped here.. Haven't heard from anyone since: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 00:06:51 +1100

I have sent 3 mails to Mr Akumira with no response. Anyone know where he is?

--
.Fredrik Steen
- http://www.stone.nu -