automake/libtool questions

While not strictly speaking a Debian issue, it is for a future Debian
package so...

For a package I'm working on, I decided to add GNU
automake/autoconf/libtool support.

The directory structure looks like this

    +-- include -- package

top-+-- lib

    +-- src

Most of it is working fine but I'm trying to get files into
/usr/include/package/*.h

First in my top-level Makefile.am I had:

pkginclude_HEADERS = include/package/*.h

but that didn't copy anything. Now I have:

pkgincludedir = include/package
pkginclude_HEADERS = *.h

but that creates /usr/include/package/include/package/*.h .  What is the
proper way to do this.

For the library, with -revision = 1.0.0 libtool creates it like this:

libpackage-1.0.0.so

Is there any way to get libtool to name it in a more "linuxy" way like:

libpackage.so.0.0.1

which the libtool author finds "unaesthetic."  I suppose I can always
rearrange the name myself in debian/rules but I'd rather libtool handled
it.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>