Re: automake/libtool questions

"Jaldhar H. Vyas" wrote:

> While not strictly speaking a Debian issue, it is for a future Debian
> package so...
>
> For a package I'm working on, I decided to add GNU
> automake/autoconf/libtool support.
>
> The directory structure looks like this
>
>     +-- include -- package
> top-+-- lib
>     +-- src
>
> Most of it is working fine but I'm trying to get files into
> /usr/include/package/*.h
>
> First in my top-level Makefile.am I had:
>
> pkginclude_HEADERS = include/package/*.h
>
> but that didn't copy anything. Now I have:
>
> pkgincludedir = include/package
> pkginclude_HEADERS = *.h
>
> but that creates /usr/include/package/include/package/*.h .  What is the
> proper way to do this.

You want:
pkgincludedir = $(includedir)/package

> For the library, with -revision = 1.0.0 libtool creates it like this:
>
> libpackage-1.0.0.so
>
> Is there any way to get libtool to name it in a more "linuxy" way like:
>
> libpackage.so.0.0.1
>
> which the libtool author finds "unaesthetic."  I suppose I can always
> rearrange the name myself in debian/rules but I'd rather libtool handled
> it.

I use:
libpackage_la_LDFLAGS = -version-info 0.0.1
and the library's dependencies.

The libtool info page has a discussion on library versioning which is important
to read, if you haven't already.  U**x library versioning is light years ahead
of Windoze (hence the massive app breakage on upgrade from Win95 to Win98), and
it's important for library authors to know how to use it.

HTH,

-Adam P.