Re: Some questions about packaging

On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 07:54:22PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> Bas Zoetekouw <bas@A-Es2.uu.nl> wrote:
> >Hi Frederico!
> >
> >You wrote:
> >
> >> The program has 'less' harcoded into it, and uses it has a pager to
> >> display the help, so I made the package depend on less... butt a better
> >> aproach would be to change the code so it would get the PAGER env var
> >> and go with it, in which case it would depend on a pager virtual package
> >> (IIRC there is one)... but let's mimagine the user has a pager but
> >> doesn't set the PAGER env? What is the Right Thing to do with this case?
> >> Change, not change?
> >
> >It would indeed be very nice if the package would use the PAGER env var.
> >It is probably even policy for it to do so. If the PAGER env var is not
> >set, you should fall back to the `pager` alternative: /usr/bin/pager is
> >a symlink to /etc/alternatives/pager, which is in turn a symlink to the
> >default pager on the users system (the sysadmin can change this using
> >the `update-alternatives' command).
>
> Have a look at policy 5.4. If it's too hard to make the package use
> $PAGER directly, then just set the pager to be /usr/bin/sensible-pager,
> which will make the decision for you. And this is all in the base
> system, so you don't need any extra dependencies.

Oh, sorry about that, I suspected that this was mentioned somewhere in the docs... I am reading them, but there are a lot of docs to read and things to adapt since the packaging ones are realated to DH_COMPAT=1... I prolly passed by that point in policy without noticing.
Well, if sensible-pager does all that then I will use it :) Changing the source code would not be very hard - even for me :) -, but using this solution sounds cleaner.

> There is no pager virtual package - that's easy enough to find out by
> looking at the Packages entries for 'less', 'most', etc., or by looking
> in /usr/share/doc/debian-policy/virtual-package-names-list.text.gz. No
> need to guess.

Oh, I was at work, didn't have access to me Debian box. Right you are, there is no virtual package, but this alternative will work ok I think.

Thank you,

fsm

--
Frederico S. Muñoz		GNU	http://www.gnu.org