Re: Some questions about packaging

Hi Frederico!

You wrote:

> I'm packaging sel (I did an ITP on it yesterday); I've gotten to the
> point were the package correctly builds, goes trough lintian with no
> warnings, installs ok and deinstalls ok.

Great.

> The package is relatively simple (well, only one bin, and actually just
> two or three code files)... my only doubt is if all the dpkg build
> targets are fully functional (I expect so, I've tested one or two and it
> worked without changing the default).

What do you mean by 'dpkg build targets'?

> The program has 'less' harcoded into it, and uses it has a pager to
> display the help, so I made the package depend on less... butt a better
> aproach would be to change the code so it would get the PAGER env var
> and go with it, in which case it would depend on a pager virtual package
> (IIRC there is one)... but let's mimagine the user has a pager but
> doesn't set the PAGER env? What is the Right Thing to do with this case?
> Change, not change?

It would indeed be very nice if the package would use the PAGER env var.
It is probably even policy for it to do so. If the PAGER env var is not
set, you should fall back to the `pager` alternative: /usr/bin/pager is
a symlink to /etc/alternatives/pager, which is in turn a symlink to the
default pager on the users system (the sysadmin can change this using
the `update-alternatives' command).

> BTW: are the original INSTALL files to be installed or not (the ones
> that say how to compile)?

No, they're not necessary.

> Well, this is all for now, thank you all :)

You're welcome.

--
Kind regards,
| Bas Zoetekouw                  | Si l'on sait exactement ce   |