Re: eggdrop .so plugins

On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 02:35:43PM +0200, Simon Richter wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Samuel Hocevar wrote:
<snip>
> >    But sometimes this is just not possible at all (-fPIC eats a whole
> > register and some assembly routines may use all of them), and there are
> > situations where not using -fPIC is a performance loss.
>
> If the assembly code is not position-independent, you already have a
> problem here. If it is, then gcc is expected to regenerate the PIC
> register after the assembly section.

Last time I checked, it didn't. This seems to be a bug in GCC, and I had
a number of problems building shared versions of my libparted package,
as it used a Linux syscall to llseek ... (for before the glibc2.1 64 bit
lseek()).

Timshel

--
   Timshel Knoll <timshel@pobox.com>  for Debian email: <timshel@debian.org>
    Second year Computer Science, RMIT   |   CS108 Tutor (Semester 2, 2000)