Re: eggdrop .so plugins

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Timshel Knoll wrote:

> > If the assembly code is not position-independent, you already have a
> > problem here. If it is, then gcc is expected to regenerate the PIC
> > register after the assembly section.

> Last time I checked, it didn't. This seems to be a bug in GCC, and I had
> a number of problems building shared versions of my libparted package,
> as it used a Linux syscall to llseek ... (for before the glibc2.1 64 bit
> lseek()).

Hmm, it is a bug in gcc if the register was correctly listed in the
clobber list or the asm statement was volatile (either explicitly or
implicitly by specifying a parameter list that suggests this asm statement
has side effects (like having no return value).

   Simon

--
GPG public key available from http://phobos.fs.tum.de/pgp/Simon.Richter.asc
 Fingerprint: A319 A60F 20F6 C8A4 3C86  54B4 99CD AC6E 79D1 B1E7