Re: eggdrop .so plugins

On Wed, Oct 25, 2000, Josip Rodin wrote:

> > E: eggdrop: shlib-with-non-pic-code usr/lib/eggdrop/modules/channels.so
> >
> > so, do i ignore the message, or do i hack Makefile.in to add -fPIC on
> > those .so files?
>
> The latter, I think. Since they aren't really shared libraries you can
> ignore the other Lintian errors, but this one is different.

   Does anyone remember what the rationale is for having to use -fPIC
for plugins ? It's not explained in the Policy, so I suppose it's for
performance issues (not having to do symbol resolution at each call if I
understand the issue well).

   But sometimes this is just not possible at all (-fPIC eats a whole
register and some assembly routines may use all of them), and there are
situations where not using -fPIC is a performance loss.

   I sincerely think something has to be changed in the Policy here.

Sam.
--
Samuel Hocevar <sam@zoy.org> http://sam.zoy.org/
for DVDs in Linux screw the MPAA and ; do dig $DVDs.z.zoy.org ; done | \