Re: buildpackage doesn't put compiled files into .deb

My guess is that your rules file has:

export DH_COMPAT=2

in it. See debhelper(1). If DH_COMPAT is 1, then debian/tmp is used. If
DH_COMPAT is 2, then debian/<name of the first package in debian/control> is
used. I guess your control file has a single package, bsf?

You can either change your code to use a target directory of
debian/bsf/usr/share/java, or use DH_COMPAT=1, or do something a bit more
complicated like:

# This is the debhelper compatability version to use.
export DH_COMPAT=2
firstdir := $(shell sed -n 's/Package: \(.*\)/\1/p' debian/control | head
-1)

and then use a target of debian/$(firstdir)/usr/share/java

YA