Re: Documentation

    Josip> On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 11:07:29PM +0200, Hugo van der Merwe wrote:
    >> Where does one draw the line about how much documentation should be
    >> included? I just finished the first version of my first package, I threw
    >> in everything. In debian/docs:

General rule: if in doubt, include it.  There are enough
underdocumented packages (and then some GNOME stuff seems to be
in-app-help only (and then the help browser throws an error *gaahhh*
or the app doesn't come up fast enough... like Balsa)).

    >> ABOUT-NLS

    Josip> This one is probably the generic file that gettext (or
    Josip> whatever) includes in all internationalized programs. Don't
    Josip> include it.

Yup.

    >> AUTHORS

    Josip> What's the contents? If it's just one name, and you
    Josip> included it in the copyright file, then it's not needed :)

If it's

    >> INSTALL

    Josip> If it's generic, don't include it. If it explains only
    Josip> stuff about compiling from source, don't include it either.

But beware... it might mention config stuff inside this (or
dependencies of config-opts on compile-time opts).  Again: if in
doubt...

    >> NEWS

    Josip> If it's like other NEWS files I've seen, this is fine. If
    Josip> there's no upstream changelog, use this as it.

I'd rather not "mv NEWS changelog" (if that's what you ment).  I like
the (GNU-Standard) NEWS/ChangeLog split, and I like to see NEWS as
"NEWS".

    >> README

    Josip> Usually fine... depends on the contents sometimes.

If in doubt... you know the drill.

    >> TODO

    Josip> Ditto.

Ditto. (;-)

Bye, J

PS: It should be clear by now: if you're not sure beyond any
reasonable doubt that a certain file is unnecessary for users, include
it.

--
Jürgen A. Erhard    juergen.erhard@gmx.net   phone: (GERMANY) 0721 27326
          My WebHome: http://members.tripod.com/Juergen_Erhard