Re: Find the display

Christian Marillat writes:

> # restart sawfish
>     if [ `pidof sawfish` ]; then
>        sawfish-client -display :0.0 -f restart
>     fi

Well, if you still want do do this (I really don't like the idea, but
it's your package...[2]), it seems highly unlikely that this is the right
way. What you said before was that there was a problem running a older
version of sawfish with newer configuration files in place[1].

In that case, you're going to replace all the old files when the deb
gets unpacked, and *then* restart (after a brief, but nonzero period
of time). There's still a window where you have the new files on the
disk and the old package running.

[1] If this is *not* the problem, I apologize for misunderstanding and
hope you will explain it clearly.

[2] i.e, what's next? killing all my shells when I upgrade bash?
reopening all my editor windows when I upgrade emacs? etc. That's why
I asked about this not being in policy. It just rubs me the wrong way.
But like I said, not my package...

--
There is no TRUTH. There is no REALITY. There is no CONSISTENCY. There
are no ABSOLUTE STATEMENTS. I'm very probably wrong. -- BSD fortune(6)