Re: Mp3 encoders

Hello again,

On Sat, Jan 08, 2000 at 01:34:25PM +0100, Bart Schuller wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 08, 2000 at 01:23:15PM +0100, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > Jordi Mallach wrote:
> > > The other day I was wondering why there aren't any Mp3 encoders in the
> > > distribution. Is there any law that prevents us from including them?
> >
> > There are patent issues that prevent their inclusion, iirc.
>
> There are patent issues, but I fail to see why they would prevent their
> inclusion in non-us which resides in the Netherlands.
>
> The subject has been discussed before, without clear conclusions. You
> could make a package and upload it to non-us. Then see what happens.

Now, this was what made me consider an ITP, and see reactions in -devel. I
had a look at WNPP, and saw the following under Packages that can't be
packaged:
8hz-mp3, bladeenc, etc -- patent problems with Fraunhofer Institute.

Should I query devel, to see what others say?

Also in the WNPP, I saw one app I wanted to package 6 months ago, aterm.
It's listed under "work in progress" by Samuel Hocevar (sam@via.ecp.fr), 228
days in Creation. I remember he told me he was going to package this for
potato, but didn't know anything else about this, and now this package is
lost for frozen. What should be done in these cases?

Thanks,