Re: [HOWTO?] Splitting one upstream package into several .debs

Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 11, 1999 at 01:56:24PM -0800, Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote:
> > But I want to build a total of four packages - aspell (containing the
> > binaries), libaspell0 (containing the libraries), libaspell-dev (containing
> > the header files) and aspell-doc (containg the documentation).
> I didn't say anything about that, it is just that the libfoo.so symlink
> always goes in the -dev package.

I just reread Chapter 12 of the Packaging Manual and it makes more sense
now.  libaspell.so.0.0.0 should be installed first.  The symlink
libaspell.so.0 --> libaspell.so.0.0.0 should be created next.  Package
libaspell-dev should create a symlink libaspell.so --> libaspell.so.0.0.0

Mea Culpa for not reading it properly before.

> The rest is fine, except that you should
> include static libraries in libaspell-dev, too (don't ask me why, though :).

The static libs going in the -dev package actually makes sense to me.  Why
would someone need a static library to run a binary?  The static libraries
are needed only by other people who build applications that stitically link
against the libraries.

Thanks.

Thaths
--
Homer: Now, what do we say when we get to the ticket booth?
Bart and Lisa: We're under six.